Heerbrugg (Switzerland) & Penang (Malaysia) - February 26, 2021
The Medical Devices sector is a key market segment for ESCATEC, with the Group designing and manufacturing a diverse range of medical-related prototypes, electronic assemblies and box builds for a global customer base.
ESCATEC Swiitzerland in Heerbrugg and ESCATEC Medical in Penang (Malaysia) spearhead the Group’s initiatives, providing a complete value chain – from conceptual design, prototyping, certification, supply chains, through to mass production and after-sales service – for customers operating in the very demanding and highly regulated medical devices space.
ESCATEC Switzerland usually handles the initial and advanced activities as the Group’s Design & Development Centre and testbed for advanced technology. Mass Production and after-sales support, meanwhile, are available at both ESCATEC Switzerland and ESCATEC Medical. D&D and production processes are validated to ISO13485.
The medical devices currently manufactured by ESCATEC can be differentiated in terms of technology, complexity, application, and production volume. There are products with low volumes and very advanced processes; products with high volumes that require dedicated automated production lines; single product production; series production, etc. Essentially any combination you can think of.
ESCATEC engineers and Key Account Managers serving the medical devices market note customers appreciate the following key points the most:
- ESCATEC’s ability to provide the full product life cycle and a competitive and tested development process that has been continually refined since 1974.
- The broad range of talent in Project Teams - which normally encompass Designers, Production & Quality Engineers, Industrial & Mechanical Engineers, Software & Hardware Experts, NPI, Risk Management & Procurement Specialists, and an experienced Key Account Manager. Other skill sets are drafted into the Project Teams at the earliest stages if necessary.
- The attention to detail by the various domain experts in the Project Teams ensures that the prototype or product model has the necessary quality, safety profile and documentation to obtain certification without undue delay, and to move quickly to cost effective manufacturing. The Project Teams, as standard practice, keep in very close communication with their customers, and a key objective is to avoid the possibility of any late-stage changes which could potentially have an impact on costs and timelines.
- Ability to provide very fast turnaround for prototypes or functional models (either single product or product series), as well as ESCATEC’s comprehensive traceability system with immediate reporting capability.
- ESCATEC’s continuous investment in advanced equipment and employee training, and a firm realisation that customers expect and deserve top value.
- ESCATEC’s approach to working as an integral long-term partner with customers, instead of having the mindset of just being a run-of-the-mill supplier. The Group is keenly aware that its own commercial success depends entirely on its customers’ success, as happy successful customers stay for the long haul.
The attributes summarised above are synergistically contributing to ESCATEC’s growing worldwide reputation as the “go-to-guys” for designing and manufacturing medical devices. This is illustrated by the current production line-up in Heerbrugg and Penang which includes:
- Respirators and Ventilators
- Inhaler devices
- Drug delivery systems
- Bone drilling machines
- Electronic measurement equipment for knee & spine surgery
- Cold chain data logging devices
- Optometry devices
ESCATEC’s product development approach follows a V–model as illustrated below. The model describes the various activities that need to be performed at each development stage / phase.
Come and talk to us if you are in the medical device space. We would be pleased to try our very best to help you and your organisation achieve commercial success. For convenience, please click on the link below to connect to our professional and very experienced Business Development Team.
Connect to the ESCATEC Business Development Team
On the right: Chief Operating Officer Juha Arola
1) ESCATEC's Product Development Approach
2) Engineers & Key Account Managers in ESCATEC Switzerland
3) A NPI team in ESCATEC Medical
4) NPI members discuss solutions
5 & 6) Advanced technology & processes at ESCATEC Switzerland
7) A production line in Penang
8) ESCATEC's main facility & Corporate HQ in Bayan Lepas, Penang